Orthodontic treatment helps people achieve healthy and beautiful smiles with the use of braces, appliances, or aligners. These various orthodontic appliances apply gentle pressure to the teeth, which move them into an ideal position over a period of approximately 1-3 years. Your orthodontist chooses the appliance style that is best suited to your individual treatment needs.
Why Choose Orthodontic Treatment?
Your smile is the first thing people see and notice about you. A beautiful, healthy smile is engaging and welcoming. Not only are all aligned teeth attractive, they provide many health benefits as well. They are easier to clean and maintain and will allow you to chew and speak without difficulty or added stress on the supporting gums and tissue. Poorly aligned teeth and jaws can lead to increased cavities, gum disease, excess tooth wear and other dental issues that may require treatment later in life.
Situations where orthodontic treatment can help:
- Tooth Crowding
- Tooth Spacing
- Open bite
- Misplaced Teeth
- Negative Overjet
Dental Hygiene During Orthodontic Treatment
Braces, wires, and retainers can make ordinary brushing and flossing a challenge – encourage your child to take care of their teeth and gums. In addition to regular brushing, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Thread floss through the gaps between your teeth by using an archwire. After a little practice, it’s easy!
- An interdental brush can get under the braces without damaging the wires.
- Have your child clean their retainer every day before and after use by brushing and rinsing.
- Keep your child away from hard and sticky foods that can damage the wiring and braces. Sugary snacks and sweet drinks can encourage tooth decay.
- Encourage a healthy diet everyday!